Study skills: how best to use the time to study
Study techniques are becoming one of the most important concepts in the student world. After seeing all school failure being harvested in schools, students will have the option to improve your performance with rules, tips, techniques and recipes can improve study results clearly. Study skills are a set of tools, essentially logical, that help improve performance and make the process of memorization and study.
First of all it is essential mentalization of "having to study." If we assume that we want to study the rest not spare. But it is clear that given the social situation thorough preparation for our future work is key. The organization at the time of starting a school year is critical. Based on our schedule attendance at the centers, we organize the rest of the time to take up the preparation of the content that we are seeing every day.
The daily study, sorry to say, is almost mandatory. It is to be in front of the books two or three hours every day. Is to see our own needs, analyze fields or topics that we have more problems, what are the immediate priorities (exams and papers, presentations, etc.), And from there drawn up one schedule of "work" day. Yes, I do mean, "work" because the study need to be aware that, until the social work period, is our real work and what we do, or at least try, as inherent to ourselves that we will provide, Surely our later working life. We study for us, for our future (stick it in the head), not for our parents.
In the options you presented in both left and right menus I present techniques or ways to improve those concepts that have major problems. Anyway, each person is different and if you want help with something specific do not hesitate and ask me for writing me.
I hope these ideas will count for something.
Get organized before you start
The organization is one of the key elements when studying or start time to start preparing for an exam, an opposition, a test, etc.. Therefore we must first stop to think about the material we need, we have time to do things, and something that is fundamental to establish a study schedule or work for every day of the year that we may change in special cases of take an exam or having to prepare a job. It is essential that you consider that organization everything you do throughout the day, and a realistic schedule and apparel you can fulfill.
Make time for rest and recreation and do not forget to account for periods of transport, lunch and dinner out with friends, etc.. That schedule should be like your daily work schedule. Prepare on Sunday night for the rest of the week and if necessary Varolo along day. Note that you should study every day, or at least look at the topics of the next day. Turn your time on something that you routinely meet and watch over time you will find that you have more time for everything, but well organized.
After this discussion, if you want, fill out this form with the information and I ask that you consider another interesting to help you organize your work-study pace. This information is valid for organize your studies, your work rate and that things would have to concentrate more. It is a confidential information and as such try.
Improved reading speed
To increase the speed we have reader from the basics of what is read. By reading our eyes are moving base jumping or fasteners that are grouped in one or several words. Therefore, to increase the speed at which we claim is to the least possible number of fasteners in each line in one clamping and cover as many words as possible. We can see this best in an example:
- "On the beaches / of all worlds / children congregate /
- impatient heaves. / On the beaches of all worlds /
- children gather, / screaming and dancing "
Try everything you can practice with texts that appeal to you, but I have to admit that poetry can help to improve the speed, because the phrases and lines are shorter.
Examples of texts to work fixations in reading
- "Asylum is / two miles / village.
- I made the road / walk. / I wanted to see mom / soon.
- But the doorman / I said / was necessary
- see before / director. / As was busy,
- I waited a bit. / Meanwhile / goalkeeper
- I was talking about, / and then / I saw the director.
- I received / in his office. / I looked. / After
- shook my hand / and held so long
- I did not know / and remove it. "
- Choose three consecutive pages of a book to motivate you and are more or less covered the same text.
- The first sheet you have to read the speed you normally do, but trying to understand what you read.
- The second sheet, then read it as fast as possible, without worrying to understand what you read or if you skip words and no turning back.
- Finally, the third sheet read it as fast as you can, but this time making sure you understand what you read and follow the guidelines of which we spoke before the fixtures and try not to go back (one of the biggest problems slow readers).
- After reading the third sheet joining the time you took the latter. This exercise must perform five days a week for 3 weeks and then rest one. If you see speed increases not repeat this type of exercise or try the following technique.
- Place a card under the line that read, trying to gradually increase the speed of reading and reading each line with only three or four fixations, depending on their length.
Improving reading comprehension
We can now move on to discuss a method rather than a technique for improving reading comprehension. The method EPL2R responds to a more thorough and detailed reading that you can use as a study method.
Each group letter EPL2R answered the initial five steps proposed in reading any text:
- Exploration: is knowing that you will get the text before working on it. Make a first quick reading to get a small idea that is.
- Questions: At this stage we ask a series of questions about the text fundamental that we believe we need to know how to respond after reading. We can transform into questions headings and titles.
- Reading: this is the phase of reading itself, which must be to the rhythm of each, making a general reading and searching for the meaning of what is read. If necessary, look in the dictionary the words you do not know. In a study session here introduce underlining, margin notes, etc..
- Replies: once the previous analytical reading, going to answer the questions you raised above and if necessary any questions become more specific, concrete or spot on the text and its content.
- Review: skimming is to revise the text, or topic, read. They are the points that were not clear and complete answers. Here, in a study session, and summaries introduce schemes.
"A good work plan should be personal, realistic, flexible and time for study and time for rest"
Where to study and how to study
- In one room you have available for it, if you can be of exclusive use, odor-free, well-aerated and ventilated, or very hot or cold, no noise nuisance or other distractions (TV, game room of siblings, radio, etc..).
- Have a large work table, which can take up all the material you'll need, without other distracting objects such as magazines, games, mobile ornaments, etc..
- The light is preferably natural and if not that is white or blue and emitted from the side opposite the hand you write (a southpaw light must come from the right).
- Both the table and the chair shall be consistent with your height, be comfortable but not too much. The chair must have support and be tough. Excessive comfort will take you to pay less or even stop studying, but the discomfort will be the same.
- You must be very careful posture. With the trunk and stretched his back against the back of the chair. At a distance about 30 cm. the book or notes and whether they may be inclined by a lectern or other object, this makes the eye sight and do not tire as quickly.
- It is very important to be decided at the time to get to school, do not hesitate and try psych that this is the work we have to do and is best done with joy and relaxation that angry and unwilling.
- It is very important that before you begin study do reflect on all that you need and you place or table or hand (dictionaries, reference books, pens, rulers, encyclopedias, etc.).
- It is also very important to know that's what you do every day and have it all planned (but flexible). So it is very convenient to do a daily study schedule but you have to be realistic, taking into account your abilities, practicable and feasible and flexible and prepared for the unexpected, which is reflected not only time but also the time study leisure and rest. Remember that every hour you must rest 10 minutes.
- When do you think that time is the best time to study on your terms, and always starts with the easier subjects before moving on to the more difficult and also easy other end.
- Hours of entertainment are also important, do not forget them.
- Must sleep an average of 8 to 10 hours, then it is essential to perform well.
Emphasis and diagrams
The aim is to highlight the underline key ideas of a text. Later, reading only the underlined can remember the content of the text.
It goes without saying that there are psychological theories of human perception underlying this technique, as it is shown that memory is fixed and more and better remember things that are highlighted.
Therefore, it is necessary that this technique not only meet, but also master it and use it. Its rationale is to highlight another color (bright colors are recommended such as red or green or fluorescent colors, but tire more) those series of words that have meaning and semantic content itself with a subsequent reading of the underlined this makes sense and you understand the text and are reflected in the details relevant. Therefore it is not necessary to emphasize articles, conjunctions (only if linkers) prepositions and whether to emphasize nouns, verbs, adjectives, dates, names, etc..
Obviously it is a difficult technique to master and requires much practice.
To underscore not recommend more than two colors and you can also replace the "line" for boxes or brackets to mark entire paragraphs or phrases that we consider paramount. Stresses if necessary in your books (they are for your service, not for garnish) and in your notes or photocopies. It is recommended that emphasis be performed along the second reading of the text or topic that we have to study. But you can also get some data pointing or ideas in the first quick reading.
You also have to get used to writing notes to the margins, in those moments when you are not clear or complete ideas with other data. These notes are then very beneficial as they facilitate the understanding and extend knowledge.
As noted above, in the second reading, unhurried, comprehensive and analytical, is when we do these operations and it is time to stop and understand graphs, tables, maps or boxes. In many cases provide a wealth of information in a clear reduced and that help us better understand what we are reading and a more direct way. Think we are studying an issue of economics about the various productions of a country. If on that page have a bar graph or sector with the quantities and items that occur immediately know that excels and in which another is lacking.
What follows are different types of activities with respect to underline and analyze tables and graphs.
Study skills tips: the best way to use the time to study: Part II
If this article was useful and you want to help us to grow Subscribing to our feed or Click "Like" in our Facebook page ,or follow us via Twitter or subscribing to our feed.